Green Cards

Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) status, a.k.a. a “green card,” allows a foreign national to live and work permanently in the United States. The process of obtaining a green card can take anywhere from a few months to over 10 years, depending on the visa category. For individuals in backlogged categories, you may be able to obtain temporary visas in order to live and work in the U.S. prior to obtaining your green card.

You can check wait times on the U.S. State Department’s monthly Visa Bulletin.

Employment Based (EB) “green card” categories:

  • EB-1: for persons of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics; outstanding professors or researchers; and multinational executives and managers.
  • EB-2: for professionals holding advanced degrees or persons with exceptional ability in the arts, sciences, or business.
  • EB-3: for professionals, skilled workers, and other workers.
  • EB-4: for “special immigrants,” (religious workers, U.S. foreign service employees, retired employees of international organizations, minors who are wards of U.S. courts, and other aliens.
  • EB-5: for investors of $1 million (or $500,000 in a targeted employment area) who create at least 10 new, full-time U.S. jobs in a commercial enterprise.

Family Based “green card” categories:

  • IR: for immediate relatives (spouses, parents, and unmarried children under the age of 21) of U.S. citizens.
  • F1: unmarried children over the age of 21 of U.S. citizens.
  • F2: spouses, unmarried children under 21 years of age, and unmarried sons and daughters over age 21 of permanent residents.
  • F3: married sons and daughters (any age) of U.S. citizens.
  • F4: siblings of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and children, provided the U.S. citizens are at least 21 years of age.

For more information or to schedule a consultation, contact our office.